POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) : This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  This may be my first *complete* scene (75K)
From: jimbobjim
Date: 21 Feb 2002 14:45:54
Message: <3c754e72@news.povray.org>
Hi
A few days ago I saw this link in povray.off-topic
http://www.henrywagner.org/povray/images/field1.htm and decided to re-create
the scene.
I got a fair-ish representation last week and added the poser people and the
boat today.

Although I have a question about what pov does during the parse stage.
During test renders I was using ~30,000 objects (pyramid2 from shapes.inc)
for which the total trace time was just a few minutes. For the final render
I used ~60,000 of these objects and even though the trace only took a few
minutes, pov took 25 minutes to during the parse to create light and vista
buffers. Is there anything I can do to speed this process up? I changed the
union to a mesh in the pyramid2 definition and that helped loads - peak
memory used dropped from 50Mb to about 14Mb in the 30K object case - but on
the final render peak memory was 125Mb and my machine has only 64Mb so
windows was thrashing the virtual mem a bit. (maybe I just answered my own
question)

Thanks
Jim

Post a reply to this message